Sunday, October 19, 2008

MSTRKRFT (with Felix Cartal, Congorock)



[10-02 Seattle, WA – Showbox]
When I found out the closest show MSTRKRFT was playing on their 2008 Fists of God tour was in Seattle, I knew that I had to go. Means of transportation went from my friends car, to mine, then at 6 am day of show I found out neither were and option, and needed to resort to train, missing class and committing to an all nighter in Seattle. Every bit of it was worth it. From the sketchy dinners to the homeless crack head trying to sell us weed, it was an amazing experience. Most of all was the five-hour dance party that was the MSTRKRFT show. If you have never been to the Showbox, which is directly across from Pike’s Market, I highly recommend it.
We had the dance party shocked into life by the musical talents of Felix Cartal and Congorock. Although I had never heard of either, both were very good and got all the foreplay with the crowd out of the way so that when MSTRKRFT took the stage, all hell broke loose. Bringing down the curtain, a monolith of screens emerged. On them were elaborate video to mesh with the fantastic mixing of JFK (Jesse F Keeler former bassist of the late great Death From Above 1979; he gave me his cigarette before the show…it was awesome) and Al-P (Alex Puodziukas, a producer on the aforementioned DFA 1979’s You’re A Woman, I’m A Machine) From robots, to acid washed 80’s femme fatal videos, the crowd was taken from small venue to a living, evolving thing. I have been to many dance/techno/dj shows in my time, yet this was by far the most fun I have had. Dancing around, one only had to glance up at JFK to see that they were having just as much fun. Dancing and singing along, he would sneak the occasional drag of his cigarette before the music would drop again, sending the crowd into frenzy.
Standing on stage, arms spread out to embrace the crowd; I was able to see the extent of the destruction the we were doing. Removed from it all we were dancing the night away. Lights and smoke drifting from behind me, I could tell it was time to ascend back into the masses, and leave this stage of gods. And so I jumped as if a question to the crowd, and the sea of people answered back.
Lastly I want to add a slight blurb about their encore. Leaving the stage, the visuals started to melt down and make the dreaded computer error malfunction sound of death. Walking off all cool like, a tip of the hat was all we needed. Screaming and shouting, stomping our feet and chanting MSTRKRFT in unison, we knew we would get what we desired. Finally Al-P walked out to the overwhelming sound of applause and he set the stage. Getting Daft Punks “One More Time” prepped up, he gets it started, but it is just the rise. Repeating words and beats, he just starts the underlay of what is to come. After what seems like an eternity, like the build up to the climax of The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly, JFK runs out like Clint to end it all. Cigarette in tow, he inhales deep and jumps up, slamming his hand upon the button that releases the beat to roam free. The beat drops, and we are in total dance mode once more.
[Nick Erickson]

No comments: