Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Genres-they confuse me.

Something I’ve noticed in music today is the abundance of genres. It seems like every band today needs to have its own genre. It seems no one can be happy grouped up with someone else. No band wants to be Rock anymore, ‘cause they’re more like Acid Rock, or Pop-punk-postmodern-Rock. Seriously, I’ve read bands that claim to be punk pop country folk bands. Excuse me, but what the fuck does that mean? I understand that bands can be extremely unique and different, but that doesn’t mean they should have their own genre to themselves. Genres are short and simple ways to categorize music. Let’s not complicate that. Yes, Black Metal and Power Metal are extremely different. Sure, Delta Blues and Detroit Blues are miles away. No one Claims Pop-country and Country rock are the same. But we can still avoid the long running genres that combine like 8 styles. Think I’m being silly? Go to Wikipedia and search “list of musical styles” There are 4 pages. I’m sure we can find an appropriate genre for any band in there. Let’s go for simplicity, let’s make it clear. So can we avoid the long running genres that make no sense whatsoever, just so this little band can pretend to be unique? Thanks.

Grant, The Yellow-Postmodern-Neofacetious-Popcounterculture-writer

No comments: