Monday, February 9, 2009

score!



I have no shame in confessing that I am the friend/date that makes her party wait till the end of movie credits before leaving the theater. Mostly, if you go to a movie with me you'll end up impatiently waiting, wondering why I'm still adamantly engrossed in something fleeting, meanwhile you've got to pee and your popcorn has turned stale. Sorry, but I do this not to be all righteous and respectful but rather to listen to the music (and to finish my twizzlers, but that is beside the point). There simply is no better time to listen to a single song, slouched peacefully in your seat, watching those credits methodically roll up that spackled cinema screen and letting the projector lights flick the back of your head. The music seeps into every crevasse of the theater, coddling your sensory system like a giant bear hug. And finally, the din of theater goers rustling about concludes your audio extravaganza. Usually, I am a bit teary-eyed from the movie anyhow, so my listening experience becomes very emotional. Most recently, I saw THE BLACK BALLOON (an Australian movie about tumultuous family dynamics directed by Elissa Down) and found myself hysterically blubbering over Simon Day's brazen and comedic "Even." It was a little pathetic to be honest. Nonetheless, movies are a great way to listen to new music. I suggest catching a flick at the Portland 32nd annual International Film Festival (Feb. 5-21) and tuning into the film scores, most films have myspcae pages where you can learn all about their soundtrack and composer, you can even buy the soundtrack if so inclined, but if you're anything like me you'll just milk the rolling credit music for all it's worth.

-mh

No comments: