Saturday, February 14, 2009

Don't play with my style, I might sting ya




I'm really excited that Pendulum is coming to Portland. Does anyone fucking listen to Pendulum? Does anyone listen to drum n bass? Who knows what drum n bass is? Get your act together, guys. This show is going to be rad. Nah, okay, people who actually bother to read this blog probably are at least vaguely familiar with drum n bass. But my favorite response from people when I ask them if they like drum n bass is, "Oh, I've never heard of them." It's a lot funnier to me than other cliché responses to certain trains of conversation (ie, "Your name's Hannah? Same backwards and forwards! Did you know that's called a palindrome?" ..... Seriously? Do I look like I didn't get past third grade? Actually, I probably knew that in like, first grade. Suckas. Okay, but what's worse than the palindrome thing is the Hannah Montana thing).

So! For those of you who do – and also for those of you don't – know about drum n bass, my point is this: you should consider this concert. March 8, Roseland. Listen to some of their music on youtube or, even better, SEEQPOD.com. That website, just a heads up, is also really good for listening to all the bad rap songs you've never gotten around to downloading but really wish you could listen to that one (every) time you're drunk. Could just be me. But Wyclef, "Sweetest Girl"? All the Lil' Wayne you could ever want? "Southern Hospitality"? But I digress. In any case, skip the hip hop for the moment and listen to, say, "Through the Loop," by Pendulum. After the fucked, distorted (Willy Wonka!) vocals comes in the heavy.. drums and bass. And if (when) it sounds shitty on your weak MacBook speakers, just remember that drum n bass is meant for gargantuan speakers that will force every heavy beat through the fibers of your convulsing muscles.. Oh, I'm getting carried away by the fucking romance of it.

Love
Hannah

No comments: